Disclaimer; this is not necessarily the correct way of doing this technique, it is the way I see how it should be done.
差合 SASHI AI
Technique No 3 from Kukishin-ryu Rokushaku Bôjutsu – Keiko sabaki kata
1. I assume Chûdan no kamae and plan to make the opponent open up his left side…
2. I move the left foot forward to the left and enter in to the opponent’s right side. I angle the body in a way to draw the attention to my left hand and hide the right hand sliding back to the end of the staff.
3. I step forward with the left foot and thrust in chudan-tsuki to the opponent and force him to move. Since I enter on his right side I pretty much force him to move to his left.
Note: If he is not moving I strike through his guard and get him. If he put force into the block it is better for me, but I’m not waiting to feel it (physically) then it would be to late for the next step.
4. I quickly move the right foot forward and strike his left elbow with dô-uchi.
5. Then another quick kote-haneage strike from under to his right arm to completely disarm him. The kata officially finish here, but it is easy to keep going and take control of the space and the weapon he just lost.
6. Then I jump back to Seigan no kamae and assume zanshin (because the next kata starts from here which makes it easier to remember the next kata).
After you and your partner have learned the kata, try to work on a better defense with the sword. Try to be more offensive and gradually make it more difficult to attack with the staff, instead of moving backwards move forwards and be more offensive. The swordsman’s distance is shorter and he need to be on a safe distance or closer where he can get the opponent with the staff quickly. The person with the staff need to be outside the swordsman’s reach or be completely covered. You can practice this technique with more freely distance and timing, but keep the same sequence of attacks (keep to the kata). If you do this I suggest you use safe weapons (padded weapons) and maybe protections, or just be very careful.
There is also kuden; things taught personally from teacher to student, so please find a good teacher and study with him/her.
One Reply to “Kukishin-ryu Bojutsu – Keiko Sabaki kata – 03 – Sashiai”
Awesome this post and additionally composing rocks ! keep it up. To be sure on hand 100%, I’d precisely the same complications. Continue I may take place back before long.
Comments are closed.